Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Out and About


At the fair parade.  I can't believe the ENTIRE population of the county was out there, I prepared for the possibility of other people by bringing an umbrella.  Pokey points at eye level keep people at arms-length.  But I really had no idea there would be 10,000 people, or that the parade route would be so short, forcing us all to MASH.
Oh, oh, AND people were handing out candy, which was fine.  Lots of kids around to scramble and get that.  But there were people handing out pamphlets, flyers, cards, and reusable shopping bags.  I backed up anytime one got too near.  Interaction.  UGH


Look at that, both sides, both directions.
The parade took nearly 3 hours and of course, Ben was in float 10-from-the-end.

The reason it took so long is that each of the 8-10 school districts had a car for Baby Miss Podunk, Little Miss Podunk, K-8 Miss Podunk (one for each grade) then MISS Podunk, a high schooler.  Then some had Senior Miss Podunk from I guess their senior citizens center.  Only one had a Little Mr. Podunk and he looked about as thrilled as he would be headed to the dentist knowing he had 3 cavities.
It took HOURS.
The Klan came by as well, between schools.  Go, Alabama. 
They handed out little Confederate flags along with their bright white information sheets.


The kids had all of 10 days notice about the parade, so their tiny little orchestra pulled together to learn When the Saints Go Marching In.

I left after the float went by and RAN for my van.  And got stuck in traffic because everyone and their dog was going to the staging area to pick up their kid.  I was instantly glad this would be the only year to deal with all of that.

Tuesday, I went hiking with Gina.  I was attacked relentlessly by snake sightings.



I was in the Twilite Tunnel at Hurricane Creek and Gina walked around, which is my plan from now on as well.  If I ever go back.

I decided to use my cell phone light to see.  I saw 2 camel crickets first thing.
Then a 14-inch ringneck, not sure if it was a ringneck, only that it had a ringed neck.
I was starting to calm down when I saw THIS one below, it was easily 4 feet long.  Possibly longer.  I actually screamed.



One more snake for the road.  I left after this one.
This really is a ringneck.

Gina, coming up the Grandfather Trail.

We headed out later in the week to walk at Duck River: