Saturday, December 30, 2017

A Final Adventure for 2017


Back in February, I took Ben and Chan to Stephen's Gap, a cave I used to visit at least once a month throughout my teens.  I hauled everyone I knew at the time up there any chance I got.  But I never took Matt.  We decided today it was probably because he was adamant about not liking ledges and drops.  

About 25 years ago SCCI bought it and more recently blazed the trail and opened the area back up via a permit system.   I don't know what took me so long to go back and visit, but I am glad we did!  

I have a cold that I insist is the nasal version of Sundowning, that thing where dementia patients get worse as it gets dark out.  Last night, I was 90% sure I was going to not make it today, I could barely breathe.  But this morning I was up with the dawn and feeling fine.  Of course, it's dark now as I write this and I am snotted up once more.  Blah


Always take 2 light sources into a cave. 
Maybe not wear them simultaneously, but still...


6-foot elevation gain, beet red just looking at it. 





The top of his hair is purple, it just does NOT show in pics!





warmer in the cave than it was outside!





Alex was keeping Ben steady while he took a pic







at the top, the creek goes into a crevasse and then pops back out inside the cave!



the waterfall down at the bottom there is the one that can be seen from inside the cave, the water pours through the rock instead of over the lip