Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunny side up!


I have been a little disgruntled by my severe tan lines. So today, I grabbed my book and the blanket tarp and headed out into the pasture a ways and proceeded to try to get some color in my cheeks.

After about 10 minutes, the dogs had headed for shade, I was covered in sweat, half-blind from the bright book pages and itchy from every tiny thing that stuck to me from grass seeds to gnats. It was not sexy or fun or even particularly effective. I lasted less than 20 minutes total. It's 6 hours later, my rear end and sides are bright pink and I feel sort of chapped. And I think my shoulders and arms are even darker. I have no idea how to even up a tan. Or if I should even expose swaths of naked skin to the sky, what if someone flew over in a plane? The sun flashing off my hiney could be interpreted as a signal for help or something.

But for the first few minutes, laying on my blanket in the warmth of the sun was bliss. Like eating good chocolate or diving into a warm pool on a cool day, a total immersion in comfort. I can't say I am interested in making a habit of it, but like skinny dipping-everyone should sunbathe nude at least once.