Monday, November 30, 2009

End of an era

Ben turns 10 tomorrow. I have been feeling the weight of this birthday more than any other, even Jake turning 13 did not have the feeling of passage like this one. My youngest in double digits.

It feels like things will never be the same, that now the time will pass in a bigger blur, that no matter how many frames of time I steal with my camera, I will never freeze it again, won't even slow it down.

His whole life will pass in these double digits, everything that is going to happen to him starts now. To all three of them, teen years, 20's, 30's, dating, marriage, children, jobs, pets, college, houses and cars and vacations and accomplishments and failures, all those things that make up a life. 40's and 50's and slowing down, losing grandparents and then parents, 60's and 70's, maybe even 80's. All in decade chunks, all capsuled and neat and clipped off. His first chunk of time is gone.