Monday, August 28, 2017

Hobbs Cabin overnight

There are a few stretches in South Cumberland that I have not hiked yet-the 7.2 mile North Plateau trail, a 3 or so mile stretch from Horsepound to Ranger in the Gulf and of course Denny Cove and now Sherwood is being developed...

Anyway, a Facebook friend wanted to do an overnight to see how her gear all worked and so we planned the loop to Hobbs Cabin, staying at a campsite there.  We have walked the 11 miles at Richard Martin together, I knew she was physically able to cover the miles and the distance was her choice when we planned the trip.  We talked through some options and decided less climbing would be best because it's still quite hot during the day.

This is an easy trail, likely rated moderate because it's 9+ miles each way, no matter which route is taken.  However-my full summer of Netflix and Chill accented with 2 mile walks here and there and the occasional swim did nothing at all to prep me for what I thought would be a simple hike.  I didn't overpack, I had less than 20 pounds for overnight and could have knocked that even lower if I hadn't packed so much first aid and extras for things we ended up not having time/energy for.  The plan was to arrive and set up and then start a fire and she wanted to learn to bear bag.  So I had several ways to do both.  In reality, I got to the cabin about 30 minutes before dark and she was there 20 minutes later. By the time we were set up, neither of us cared to mess with finding wood or proper hang trees. I put all the smellies in an Ursac and left it tucked in my pack.  No problem.

The trail in was, let's say 10 miles.  I gave us 6 hours to walk it!  Kimberly's GPS said it was 14 miles.  I just know that I walked my walking pace from 1-7 with 2 15 minute breaks and I did not think I was ever going to get there.  I had a weird spell of thinking I was in purgatory and would be walking forever.  I wasn't tired or hungry or thirsty, I was just walking.  Endlessly.  I seriously think the mileage there is not even remotely accurate.

Kimberly and Lucy






The night passed without incident, we were up by 7 and ready to leave by 8.  I always think it will take about 20 minutes to set up and pack up, but it takes an hour.  I'm sure I could rush, but I like to come home and put everything away where it goes as I unpack and if I have it clean and dry and packed correctly-that part really does only take minutes.

Badly focused stick bug


North Plateau trail is 5.6 miles around to where it meets with the trail to Dinky campground.  From there, it's 3.8 miles to the ranger station.  It took 4 hours to get back, so I think this trail is better measured.  I did not stop on the way out after I waited for Kimberly a couple of times and realized she was doing fine, just her shoes were making her feet hurt so she was going slow-but not lost.

The gnats were SO bad.






new dodads-that caribeener is from Cairn and is multipurpose and the green thing is a digital compass with temp.

Back at the van by noon, we headed out.  I stopped en route and got food and was home around 3.

In the bath, I discovered-seed ticks.  A few hundred of them, all over my feet, ankles and lower legs.  They were in my nail beds, between my toes and had begun to range further up, some behind my knees and a perfect row along the lower edge of my compression shorts.

When Matt got in, I had him check me over, then again the next day.  I found a few more under my watch band and wedding ring!

I itched, not as bad as chiggers but a close second.  My feet and ankles puffed up, I had been developing a UTI for about 3 days-plus PMS set in with bloating achy cramps.  I'm surprised I didn't hurl myself off into the gulf!  Some trips are just bumpier than others.

The day after I got home, Matt took the kids and their buddies rock climbing with Park and I laid out and did laundry all day.  I was barely improved the next day, though I did get the house cleaned up and all my gear sorted and checked for ticks.  I vacuumed about 12 times.

Still, I enjoyed the trip and it's always nice to get to hang out with someone interested in backpacking and who will actually go every now and then.

Already looking forward to next time-after the first frost. hahaha