Monday, February 19, 2018

Honeycomb Hideout!

Well, not really as I am not THAT exciting, but there IS a Honeycomb trail over at the lake and I have been hiking it recently.  Since the first of the month, I have hiked 40 miles!  Hills are getting easier, though that's with a day pack, so I am not getting too excited. 

Today we went back over to the honeycomb trail and hiked it with Nia.  It was Matt's first time.  Since I have hiked it a few times, I was able to add more to my 'mind map' as Ben calls it, and think about how the trail goes.  And it goes uphill WAY MORE from the dam to the campground than it does from the campground to the dam.  hahaha.  Dang. I really don't like hills! 

Matt liked it, Nia loved it. There are a couple of creek crossings and several access points to get in the lake.  She STAYED wet, and often muddy, and very smelly.  So basically her best day ever.  We started out with Murphy too, but he sometimes gets carsick and by the time we were half a mile away, he was already belching and clawing at the windows.  So I turned around PDQ.

Nia loved being an only dog, her prefered state.

realizing she's in mud, not lake

this mud smelled horrible, like old oil and dead fish



A cleaner bit of water, swimming in circles to stir up the gators.  



The start of the long series of climbs.


Me, feeling oddly optimistic, though that quickly changed to 'oddly tired'




A beaver!


okay, well, it's Nia again.


roughing it as I remembered to bring kibble, but not a bowl


contemplating the unfairness of life without bowl


Matt sat in witch's butter, an (edible) jelly fungus
I may have called him Butterbutt


I had her harnessed and clipped for her surfing ride on the way to eat after the hike.


She thinks she is 6 feet long, I had to move a basket that I keep odds and ends in and put my massaging back rest on the top to fill in the gap between seats so my two and a half six foot long dog could sleep on the way home.  She kept dramatically falling off into the gap.  At least she didn't make me turn on the massager for her.  I did spend nearly $4 on grilled chicken strips for her though.  Then I had to blow on them while she stared at me until they were cool enough to eat.  She also groaned until I turned off the radio.  I don't foresee us going crosscountry anytime soon.  But I did enjoy hiking with her.