Monday, May 28, 2018

Yak Attack

Well, we FINALLY bought a couple kayaks.  I have no idea why it took us so long, but it did.  And now we have 2 and I am thrilled! 

We still need some stuff, most notably a carrier for them.  Right now I am hauling them laying on a blanket tarp strapped to the roof rack rails.  That's not the perfect solution I had envisioned.  They bounce a little in the wind and tend to move enough that when we loosen the strap, they slide off the side of the van instead of waiting to be pulled off the back.  So we need a better solution.  I only have rails, I don't have crossbars, so those J-hooks for the kayak to lean against will not work.  I'm open to suggestions.

For our maiden voyage, we went to Wheeler and put in at one of the many boat ramps they have.  We paddled around for a couple of hours, then headed for home when the clouds started gathering. 

The next day, Gina asked if we wanted to go again, and we did.  We met back up at the same spot because she had stalked me and saw us the day before.  That made it easier to plan anyway.

We arrived only barely late (Matt can only get to work on time, everything else-time is a suggestion.)   

Gina was already there and had bought...the exact same kayak we had and in the exact same color.  STALKER. 

Or, it might have been the really good kayak sales going on for Memorial Day.  3 other friends also got 'yaks this past weekend. No clue if they are as awesome as ours, but I'll plan a float day soon and scope it out.


The launch was successful!



We had to get boats, paddles, life jackets...mine is purple, of course.







Next day:




I love cypress trees!

Gina yelled that a rattlesnake was going to fall on me. 
For anyone who has NOT seen the update on that story, the snake did not fall from the tree, it was swimming along, the man thought it was an alligator and yanked it up out of the water and proceeded to agitate it until it bit him.

We discussed how nearly all reported snake bites are males bitten on the upper torso, arms, or face.  Here's a tip-don't pick up a snake.  Just leave them to it and get on with your day.  If you have to set down a beer first, that goes double.  









I liked the swampy feel of this spot.






Caught this osprey bringing in a fish for the (giant) chick in the nest.  It even shredded it up for the baby.  (blurgh)



And, the best part of having kayaks, chillin' out on the water with friends.

We paddled nearly 4 miles this trip, just tooling around the backwaters of the Tennessee River.  I'm hoping for huge gains in the arm strength sector.  So far, I just have a blister on my thumb.