Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Long morning on Short Creek




Matt had the day off for the 4th and so we woke up at his usual time and instead of going to work, we went kayaking! 
We went to Short Creek since I have been and he hasn't.
We arrived by 7, so we piddled around and stopped several times to look at things and get out and walk around. 













corndog plant

Pretty good example of why we get along so well. 
Stop and take a pic of this thing I have seen!  



Swamp Rose Mallow




I found a helgramite 

tasty!









Picked these from the water!


I don't know that I have ever seen a spider web attached to another web like this.


One of two eagles we saw today! 




Matt found an unattached chrysalis in his boat!




We walked this way for some crazy reason.
Look through the gap in the trees, it's a heron!



We came bustin out of the...um...rocky streambed to see the creek continuing upstream.
There was a pretty little set of cascades, I'd like to go back when we can secure the boats better and explore!



that is a sweaty head, complete with fogged over glasses. 
Only one thing for it.

Whee!


I floated back to the little island where we left the boats

Matt does not float.  :(

We were nice and cooled off for the return paddle.



We paddled up the right side of the island and surfed, paddling against the current.  Until I realized my arms were tired and I still had 3 miles to get back to the van!  Oops...

Okay, fishing people.
DO NOT CAST UNDER SYCAMORE TREES.
I have pulled 20 lines and lures at LEAST off of sycamores in the past month.

Hopped out to check out this nice, chilly side stream.

UGH!
That mud STANK.  It was, I don't want to know.  Maybe fish poop.


I live for these spots on a paddle.  I LOVE sliding up under a big shady tree! 



We got back to the van and loaded without any trouble. 
I just got my starter replaced so the van actually started, which was becoming kind of a mental game of roulette any time I turned the key.  Turns out, you can jump-start a car with a failing starter for a LONG ASS time before someone realizes it might not be a battery issue.

Remember a whole year ago when the van would not start and the kids and I had to hitchhike for help?  Yeah.  That wasn't the battery, either.  Grrrrr
A WHOLE YEAR!

Anyway, the good news is that with my new $300 a pop totally unwanted subscription to the random part of the month club, I am slowly over the course of this year, replacing my old van with a brand new one! 2006 is the new 2018!

I love my van, but Matt says it's time to start looking for the next adventuremobile.
I say he's crazy, that van has YEARS of life left.

Though something a little easier to get the yaks on might be nice...the van is very tall, lifting 44 pounds over my head after paddling is not getting easier.  :/

Speaking of 44, I will be that myself later this month!  :o