Friday, August 28, 2009

Trippin'

We are back from our quickie August camping trip with Cathy and Katlin.
A big thanks to Cathy for feeding and housing us! : )

Check roamschool.com for the link, it's on the 'viking explorers' page and that link's on the main page.

The springs were SO cold, I just don't remember them being that cold and EVERY time I got out to do something and got back in, there were cold all over again. I wanted to snorkel and dive down with my mask, but it took so long to get myself prepared to go underwater. I was standing there, under water to my neck thinking, "That last 10 pounds is always the hardest!" about dunking my head. Ugh, I was fairly sure my eyes would freeze inside my skull. But, they didn't. It was nice being in the sealed-off springs to give it a try, no wondering if that shadow is a shark and other things that go through my mind when my head is submerged.

The canyon was wonderful. Going on a Wednesday, it was free and there was no one even in the visitor's center, so we headed down into the canyon, stopping to fill out the registration form at the trailhead. We walked down and headed up the slot canyons, taking lots of pictures. We walked back out the way we came in, opting to skip the 3 mile loop through the canyon and back around, it was REALLY hot.

The thing I enjoyed most was stopping at all the cemeteries. Well, that and the Spanish moss, I love that stuff. We learned a lot about it at the Cahawba Visitor Center. I did not know it bloomed! I will have to take a road trip next spring, luckily Selma is only 3 hours away.

Speaking of Selma, I watched a woman drive right into a power pole, back up-car spewing steam and radiator fluid and then she went careening off down the road again! I called the cops and they had her pulled over just before a school zone less than 2 miles later. School was getting out, so I don't know if the officer was already in place and saw her himself or what-if it was in response to my call in that fast then Go Selma police! If she had just swerved to the left instead of the right she would have plowed the back of my van! I would have been SOOOOO pissed. But even more than that, had she swerved in that school zone, she could have taken out a few kids. Ack.

But we made it home, safe and sound, the van is unloaded and the laundry is underway. We cleaned the house and did all the dishes and so forth, and again, it's as if we had not gone anywhere this week. It always amazes me how being home enfolds you.