Sunday, December 6, 2009

Good Weekend

Our weekend started Friday evening with slabs of cheesy lasagna and yummy Mt. Dew. I love that stuff, it's SO sweet and fizzy and bad for you. I almost never buy it any more, but it was on sale! : ) We finished up the first season of Castle via Netflix.

We woke up yesterday to snow in a decent layer over most of the yard and had a lovely time of running around and getting cold and damp while it quickly melted.

Matt and I spent a couple hours snuggled into our big bed, snoozing, while the kids played on the computers and watched a movie. We watched CSI last night and got that disc all finished up to send back.

Jake and I worked through the first several questions in the GED prep book, it's funny how I was worried the multiple choice format would be difficult since he has never had a test before. But after the first couple, he was reading ahead of me while I was pointing out how to use the list of possible answers along with the question and was just giving me the correct answer while I was still yacking about "B. replace 'there' with 'their'. So you want to look at each word in the context of the sentence and decide if one is...okay never mind."

Today Matt and I did a little Christmas shopping in town and picked up some groceries. We had turkey sandwiches and sweet tea from Bob Gibson's-which should be just under ambrosia on the list of good things.

On the way home, we looked at a house for sale right in Falkville. It has a very small yard-maybe 3/4 acre and is on the corner, but it's a really big house, twice the size of this one. It has a nice wrap-around porch, too. And new siding and a metal roof. It's yellow, it all looks very neat and clean. I don't think it's the one for us, I would feel on display! I never want what other people might think to factor in to what we do in our own yard. : )

On the way back home, we managed to get in This American Life on NPR and once here, everyone had a walk in the pasture in the freezing dark. I have a few little goodies tucked into the closet for Christmas and picked up a new science kit for our homeschool.

It was a good weekend. Nothing exciting happened, no one had a revelation or life-altering event. Matt did express astonishment that I plan to get a job once the kids are grown and wonders why I don't just go back to school instead. I did point out that at some point I would have to get a degree in SOMETHING, preferably something I would make money doing. I will only be 43 when Ben is 18, if he gets his GED at 14-which I am positive he could do, I will be 39 and out of work!

I wonder if I could combine chocolate, travel, homeschool, reading and photography into something I get paid for. What would that degree be? : )