Monday, April 4, 2011

Backpacking 101

Since we have everything to get started backpacking, even if some of it's just temporary until we can budget for more-like tennis shoes instead of decent boots-we move to step 2 of getting ready, which is getting in better shape.  Well, really step 2 should be finding cheap, light, nutritious food that all 3 kids and I will eat, since that will undoubtedly take a good deal longer.

I have read a few books on backpacking and the most stressed muscle group to strengthen for better hiking over-all is...the abs.  Unlike nearly every other muscle group, the abs can be worked every single day.  Imagine my joy.  One person simply said to 'crunch until it burns' for the amount of workout required. 

I downloaded several photos for different crunches that work different parts of the abs and yesterday, the kids and I lined up in the living room floor and got started.  Today, none of us can tie our shoes because it hurts too much.  Obviously the whole 'every day until it burns' is going to take a while to work up to, although today Jake warned Matt that he had been doing crunches for 'almost two days' when they were wrestling earlier.

The general consensus is 3 months to get in physical shape to tackle a long (week or so) trip.  About 2 weeks to start seeing results from core work.  I have wanted to do more core strengthening for the past year, but without a real reason, it never made it to the upper levels of my consciousness whenever I was looking for something to do during the day.

The other thing I am working on more is getting enough water in the day.  I bought a 1 liter bottle today, that's 4 cups, so 3 of those a day will have me in good shape.  Now to get the kids on board...I hope diluted pink lemonade counts as water somehow.