Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hot!

Well, the first of 'summer' weather is upon us, I mowed most of the yard today and sweated like mad.  Matt is off mowing at Judy's now, he finished up our yard and I ran around and re-caulked a couple windows with the silicone caulking, it is SO much better than latex caulking.  I think it's making a difference, I do know that this past winter, we only had about a dozen ladybugs in the house-it has been in the multi-hundreds in the past.  Once we get some insulation in the attic, we should be getting much lower electric bills.  Just what we have done since the first of the year has had some effect-the electric bill for March was $50 less than I had budgeted and that was a hopeful estimation, too! 

The yard looks so nice all freshly mowed, I love the effect of looking out from the hammock and the grass is smooth and uniform and then a tree or patch of flowers erupts, it's very similar to looking out over a pond or creek and the water is flat and things stick up here and there.  It has that same feel to me, anyway.

I am getting all worked up about going camping in May.  I wish Matt had a whole week to go with us and just sit by the lake all day every day.  But, I have bigger plans for his limited time off than driving 2 hours to sit in the camper!  

I sold 2 of the red backpacks, Matt is trading the 3rd for a larger pack with a guy at work.  We have what we want picked out online for the other 2, so the kids will all have internal frame week-long backpacks.  We still need to get Matt a larger pack and we need one more sleeping pad, what Jake was using is not working out for him.  I LOVE my sleeping pad, even though it weighs 3 pounds.  It's a Coleman Max with a built-in pillow and it's 2 inches thick and well worth the weight in my pack.  I love a pillow.  I am going to get another for Matt, I hope it will make a difference in his snoring.  He can give the mat he is using to Jake and all will be sorted out...eventually.

Still looking at options for July 4th week.  Matt has the whole thing off, I'd like to backpack the whole time, but where to go that we won't either die of heat stroke or be crushed in the crowds?  I am researching...

Here are some pics I took this afternoon.  I cut 5 inches off Jake's hair and shaved Zephyr down a few days ago and both are such PITA's about photos that this is the best I have managed so far.  Note Jess and Kuma needed some picture action, too.