Saturday, March 10, 2018

Borden Creek Minihike

A second surprise hike in a week!  Owen's soccer game was moved to Montgomery from New Orleans last minute after the whole family had planned off to go out of town and Amanda and Ben opted to skip class Friday to enjoy the weather and BAM, at 11 Thursday night, we had a chat and came up with a plan.  12 hours later, we were all at the trailhead! 

We hiked for 2 hours, stopping at every log, rock, and tree that looked even remotely interesting.  The kids climbed and played and ran around.  We eventually ended up at an open spot near a small creek, maybe a mile in. hahaha!  Everyone set up hammocks and we hung out and had lunch and chatted and the littles built a house by the water (or rather they found a couple logs and imagined a house around them.  There was no illegal construction in the national forest!  :D) 

We spent another couple of hours there and decided to head back about 4 to be sure to be out by dark, but the hike out was barely half an hour since even though we JUST had lunch, dinner was awaiting us and there was far less dallying to be done along the return.

We climbed that last, long, long hill to the parking area and headed off to get Mexican, the only food worthy of the hike.  hahaha!  It was SO good.  Los Charros in Moulton.

Everyone swapped out kids and headed home with their new, even if only temporary, configurations. 



The tunnel was SO freaking muddy!
My mudbuddy and I enjoyed it!  I have missed hiking with this booger.

This may be the ONLY photo I have ever taken that somewhat conveys how steep a section of trail is.

I remember this tree from decades ago.







Virginia bluebells


Above and below-same spot.  The kids all disappear and only one backpack, MINE, is left behind.

Ode to the Left Pack:
Oh, dusty and abused
Backpack, dropped on the trail
Which one of my children forlorned you?
Imma guess Chan.
She understands the concept of returning along the same route.
She don't waste time or energy.

Thank you, that was totes freeform on the fly.

Jukie might be the best dog ever.
I mean that wasn't MY own personal dog.
Who isn't on this hike because I fear wild pigs.


There are 30 trees to choose from, but only these two will do.






Spring beauty

I zapped a few bottles of creek water for the masses.

One of about 8 falls I totally did not see on the hike in.

Hepatica


I love Bankhead.  Every time I go, I am blown away by how lucky we are to have this huge sprawl of land to explore!  


I traversed the muddy tunnel alone on the return.
Buncha wimps, I say!

Your toes need mud to get hairy!  


Every green spout is a yet to bloom trout lily