Thursday, January 14, 2010

Back Online

My Gateway died a few days back, it was very frustrating and I was pretty unsure when we would get around to replacing it. Well...Matt's dad gave us his old laptop, which was having some issues with Norton Antivirus and needed to be wiped clean, repartitioned and set back up with a new operating system. We had not done anything with it because it still played dvd's without any trouble and it really is a PITA to set up a new system, plus we were unsure if that would really fix it, or if it was really done for.

Well, faced with the cost of replacing the laptop-even though we knew for MONTHS it was on the way out-suddenly the time investment was minimal annoyance! Matt installed Windows XP and repartitioned the hard drives on Monday night, I installed drivers for the modem Tuesday and pulled the hard drive out of the Gateway and set it up as a slave drive.

I spent most all of today downloading and installing drivers for the digital media reader, the antivirus-AVG this time-video drivers, wireless connection and so on. It seems to be working just fine! I hate to say anything for sure yet, but I have been happy with it so far. Here's hoping for another 15 months (until Jake's braces are paid for) before I have to try to budget in its replacement!