Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bankhead

Today Matt and I headed out to Wiggins Hollow to hike and geocache.  The drive in was...hairy.  The road into the Hollow is not for Nettlevan, one part , I was pretty sure we were going to be down one oil pan and whatever else is under there.  She did fine going in, coming out, I was not able to angle the wheels the same way and we slid into the gully sideways.  There is nothing more scary than a van sliding sideways.  It does not matter what you mash.  It don't stop.  The wheels took turns not being on the ground, so there was spinning and the bottom did indeed scrape along the ground, but it's been so dry, luckily it was mostly sand and just sort of...smooshed out of the way when hit.  

We finally got through that spot, though I was so freaked that at the next rough patch, I had to back up twice before I was okay with going over it.  There was road on both sides there, just no middle.  I was having visions of missing the road and sliding off and tipping over into the deep rut.  I pulled over as soon as we were back on level ground and looked all over underneath, it seems fine.  I won't be doing THAT again.  

Blogger has yet again made moving the pictures akin to getting my teeth drilled, so they are in random order.  The mantis picture in particular has been all over the place.  waa





 We found a cold spot!  In front of the springs.












Mostly the trail was like this, and with hills.