Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday

What a great week, our trip came off without a hitch, the kids were good at Karen's and we started our new routine of staying off our computers for 6 hours a day.  Sad to have to set limits, but we were going a little overboard with high speed and whole days were going by where we met for assignments in the morning and again for dinner at night.  It's so nice outside right now, it seemed a real waste of good weather.  We can go back to being pod people in the winter.  

Matt got a flat Wednesday, a nail went through the tread on the side and out through the sidewall.  No way to safely patch that.  He already had a tire that needed to be replaced due to uneven wear from a bad...something bracket.  We got the bracket replaced, but the tire was still worn.  So, 2 new tires, $200.  That was not so great, now that I think about it.

Yesterday, Heather came and hung out most of the day.  That was great to just chat away, we used to get together every week for...years.  Then our group grew and I love that, having so many like-minded people and friends for the kids and folks to hang out with and learn with, it's great.  But, I do miss my just-Heather time now and then.  I was glad it worked out. 

Today I was showing the kids how to check and refill all the fluids in the van and quizzing them on the major parts of the engine-Jake thought everything was the transmission-and Ben was leaning down to look at the belt for damage and wear and said, "Hey, there's a hole!"  Sure enough, he had found a big hole in the vacuum line!  OMG!  It was on a hose that was pleated and there was a tear halfway around the thing, up underneath, in between a pleat.  I NEVER saw it.  As soon as I get that replaced, THAT should fix the engine light!  Eep!  Vacuum leak! 

Today is National Pierogie Day, Matt picked up several boxes of Mrs. T's cheddar and potato pierogies.  We have not had them in years because it's pasta wrapped around mashed potatoes and cheese.  Not exactly the best for you thing ever.  I cooked up 2 boxes with garlic and butter and diced onion in the big wok.  SO freaking good, I could have eaten a dozen, but stopped at 4.  *sigh*

I DID do the kettlebell today.  20 minutes of sweating and cursing the perky chic who is NOT sweating or cursing.  No one should be able to film a 60 minute workout video and not be nearly dead at the end.  It's in 3 segments, so I do one every other day, 20 minutes is my upper limit and since we bought a 5-pound kettlebell, to keep form, I sometimes have to switch to it before the end.  I can sling around the 10 pounder, but pay for it the next day via my back.  No good.  I sweat SO much, then shower off and feel like I can jump over the van for a couple hours, it's the best thing I do for myself in a day.

Our weekend is shaping up well, if a little snug on the budget thanks to the unplanned tire repair.  Tomorrow we are staying home (LOL!) and Sunday is a long hike in H'ville and a geocache mixer at a pizza place that afternoon and library run after lunch.  Next week, we will be...sticking close to home again.  I don't mind a bit, the kids are in a good mood, the weather is great, we'll have library books...; )