Friday, June 10, 2011

Mowing Zone Out

When the kids were small, we had the cleanest carpet in the county because I would vacuum 4 times a day, just for the white noise.  That's the noise I can think with.

It takes me 3 days to mow our yard and Judy's yard takes another 3 days, if I break it into chunks that don't leave me laying on the shower floor with the kids running to get ice to hold on my neck while the shower runs and I am too wiped out to even pull my shoes off.  While I still vacuum a couple of times a day because now I can't stand to see little flecks of anything on the floor, mowing is my zone time.

I have mowed 3 days this week, getting the yard here all tidy and back to the 'lake effect' I love so much.  Well, at night anyway.  In the day, the drooping flowers and large swaths of dead grass are kind of a bummer.  And what the Japanese beetles are doing to (and IN) my rose bush...*tsk tsk*.  I sprayed the little bastards last year, but that ended up killing bees and preying mantis and fireflies and butterflies as well.  This year they are doing their buggy kama sutra and yoga poses and eating holes in the flowers and leaves.

The first 2 days I mowed, I was listening to a book, but yesterday, I was just letting my mind wander.  First to why on earth sweet tea is a diuretic.  It's a SOUTHERN drink.  Yet it's bad to drink diuretics in the heat, they say that all the time.  I have a gallon in the fridge, Bourbon Vanilla Rooibos made with cane sugar, it's dark and smells like cake.

Then I thought about sweet things in general and how babies love sweet things, breast milk is delicious, like cantaloupe juice.  Babies love fruit juice and blueberry buckle and applesauce and it's only after they can eat well that they move on to things like veggies and meats and always, the reward to eating that is something sweet.  Sweets are for celebrating-birthday cake, wedding cake, cookies and sweet banana breads at Christmas.  Ice cream, apple pie, cherry pie, pecan pie, peach cobbler.  Women in the family known for what dessert they are best at making. 

This made me think about after we are grown-who still seeks comfort in food and if that's a direct link to their relationship with their mothers.  If they did not get enough nurturing as a baby or a child and are still seeking that base food, the sweetness, as a way of self-comforting.  Running through my mind very quickly are the women I can think of in just a few seconds that are trim.  Amanda, Katy, Heather, Cathy, Karen.  They ALL have wonderful relationships with their moms.

Then there's the women-including myself-who do have weight issues.  And of the handful I know, I also know their relationships with their own mothers are strained, unbalanced or uncomfortable.  It's not enough to be scientific by any means, but it did make me think...if it IS something that 'simple' and by that, I don't mean easy, I mean that basic, then there should be some base way to address it and make some changes.  I have to mow Judy's next, maybe I can come up with something...