Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sick:Update

Starting right after getting home last week from Huntsville, the boys started running fevers.  It's a week later and Jake is STILL in the bed.  He has never been sick this long.  Ben is much better.

By Thursday, I had been hit.  I did not even get out of bed the whole day.  Friday, I was a little better.  I am still not 100% by any means.  Saturday, Chan and Matt both got hit with fevers and she recovered, he did not.  Monday he spent the day at home in bed running a fever wearing gloves and a hat so he could sleep.

He's back at work today, but not much better, just unwilling to let things fall totally apart.  It's amazing how very many $100k and up men they have working there and it all seems to rely on Matt doing his job at less than half that amount for anything to actually get made there. So much so they have openly admitted he's not going to get promoted any time soon because-who would do the work?  Oh, BTW, we hired another person  for the position you thought you were getting!  They start this week, can you train them, k, thnx, byby.  Yeah, they'll make $30k more a year than you, but they don't know what they are doing.  SEE that's why we need YOU!  Pick up the slack for that project, too.  I saw you breathing twice just last week-you have enough free time.  I'll be at the golf course, don't call.

No one feels like doing anything, I keep getting up enough steam to run through the chores, keeping us in clean clothes, the trash out, the things wiped, the carpets cleared and the wood pile refilled.  Then I collapse. When I recover, I run to the store for more medicine or drinks or soup.  Chapstick, tissue, dog food, cat food, more laundry detergent.  Gloves on, scarf over the face, hat pulled low.  Back home, fall back out.  I feel like I have been running races.

My appetite has been nill, I don't think we've all eaten a full meal in nearly a week.  I keep soup on the stove-the 'add water' mix type soup, nothing I have to stand over.  Nutrition secondary to just having something hot.  The weather is horrid-cold, windy, wet, rainy, snowy, icy, bleak.  It's foggy and closed-in, the wood pile is down to the last 30 or so logs, but it should get us through the next drop in temps.  The central unit is working, it's just nice to have something cranking out heat, there's no way to keep the house really warm when it's in the teens outside and the wind is going 20 MPH.  The wood stove gives it a small break-it's not on every minute at least.  The power bill will be phenomenal.  The meter for the past month is well over twice the usual reading.

Ah, it's all doom and gloom!  I am sure when this week is over and the warmer temps are on the horizon and we are all feeling more or less back to normal, that I will read back over this and be amused at how crabby I get at times.

Anyway, nothing going on here, no plans either.  Just trying to get through this and see what's next.