Tuesday, February 9, 2016

It Got Cold


There's a 5k route marked off in some local fields for the high school's track team, but no one has told us to stop walking there yet.  The long hill is nice for working on my aversion to hills.  Plus, it's pretty back there.

We did several miles on Sunday and then came back, had Matteroni with veggies and headed into the woods to work on the trail.  It's about 80% done now, we flagged it headed back out so we'd be sure to keep up with the small reroutes.



Another lazy hangout at the campsite, feeding more debris to the fire circle.  Ben hung out a while but headed back.  Chan stayed home to bake, the first Sunday in February is Cake Day.



The trail is looking great!  I need to work on a few sections, but it's coming along faster than I expected.  I walked out an extension past the campsite to the next brow, there's a decent creek over there that might make for a better campsite-the flow of the water is so relaxing!
This time, we could hear TONS of traffic, it was like everyone jumped in their diesel trucks and drove up and down the road.  It's usually really quiet here.



Monday I got all caught up on my list of household tasks.  Tuesday it snowed all day.  They closed the bridges and overpasses, so  Matt and Jake zipped home just before lunch.
Nia was so glad to see her boy, it was almost too much, how she groaned and snuggled and practically purred.  Guess I should stop beating her with a stick when he's not around!  hahaha



I made wild rice soup for lunch, then added spinach (surprise!) and chickpeas.  It was gone before I made it in for seconds.    So yummy!  I am posting a pic to remind me to make it again.

It was a lovely weekend at home, we wanted to get out but Matt's car was ready Friday, we got the rental back, went to get it, the airbag light was on, they checked and it needed a new sensor AND a new front seat.  That car is so messed up, I can not imagine it will ever be okay again.  Insurance has now paid $12k in repairs, plus $220 for a busted drum stand (which Matt ran out and replaced IMMEDIATELY because, we super seriously need a highhat stand.  It's by his desk now.)
They still have to shell out for diminished value.
That took the entire day.  Seriously, from 10 in the morning until after 4.  They finally handed Matt the keys to a car with 110 miles on it and said they'd call this week.

Saturday, I was too sore to move because I decided what would be a great idea would be to do 100 kettlebell throws.  I routinely do 100 squats a day and 96 crunches because-backpacking is hard work and the more back, ab, ass and thigh muscle you can show up with, the easier it goes.  So I thought a squat with 10 pounds behind it-no biggie.  OMG.

Let me break in here and say it's in blocks of 25 for the squats and 32 for the crunches.  And it's 3 different kinds of crunches-one set upper, one lower and one for the back.  And I do it all twice at least 3 days a week.  I am not powerhousing for 2 straight hours in a sweaty sheen.  It's 3-4 15 or 20 minute sets because...stamina and I are not BFF's.  And when we are, Imma blank that bitch cause she don't want to hang with me.  I feel like I am the only one contributing to the relationship and that's never gone well.  Such a catch 22; I need her, I hate her.

Sunday, I was mobile again, so I did 50 and that's where I still am.  50 does not leave me having to use my pants leg as a handle to move my legs around when I first wake up or having to talk myself into getting up off the toilet seat because my muscles are screaming and just sitting there is so much easier.  I'll need to go again at some point, right?  Reading is fun!

Speaking of reading, I finished Station Eleven.

Then I read The One I Left Behind and Dismantled both by Jennifer McMahon.  Then I read What If by Randall Munroe, then Follow You Home by Mark Edwards over the next 2 days.  So, see why it's odd it took weeks to read Station Eleven, which isn't a long book at all.  I just did not want it to be over.
I am reading The Science Behind Jurassic Park (again) and Dexter is Dead at the same time right now (and typing!) and about to crack open The Library at Mount Char as soon as I finish the 10 Batman graphic novels I snagged at the library.  I read Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman and Death of the Family (dark, dark, dark) and Batman Noel already.  So...getting there.  

I get in a Batman kick now and then.  But as much as I love Bats, in a fight with Superman, he's dead.  There's no way, Superman just has to grab him and fly up.  Or throw him.  Or, you know...GRAB him.  Or look at him with the red eyeball thing or freeze breath him.  That Kryptonite ring contingency plan is whack.  Plus...Kryptonite.  That's like being weak to Earthonite-lame!  But then Green Lantern is weak to yellow and wood.  I could kill him with a No 2 pencil.  Which I saw Willow do to a vampire in Buffy once.  Using her BRAIN.  I don't mean she was thinking smart, I mean she levitated that bad boy.

Tomorrow is Baby Girl's 18th birthday.  I just...it's a hard one.