Wednesday, December 29, 2010

%$#ing Dentist

Latest in the tooth saga.

I went in Nov 29 for a consult, asked for my co-pay.
I called the next week, asked for my co-pay.
I went into the office while I was in town the next week, asked for my co-pay.
I called again week before last, asked for my co-pay.
I called before Christmas, asked for my co-pay.
I was told each time someone would get back with me soon
I was told the last time that someone would call a few days before my procedure and tell me.

I called today, confirmed the appointment for tomorrow myself.
I asked again about the co-pay.

They actually called back.  $420 for a single tooth extraction.
$60 for the consult
$40 for the tooth
$320 for the sedation

So now, I am having it pulled with no sedation because I can't plan a $420 payment with a 23 hour notice.  I have it in savings, but I can't imagine a situation where being knocked out for 15 minutes is worth $320.  I am so pissed right now.  And scared.  Mainly, scared.  I don't want to feel the tooth come out, I have nightmares about that.  I was fine with la-la land.  

At least I don't have to worry about doing something stupid while under sedation.  I do have a history of that.  And I won't have to fast.  And it will be over in 24 hours, I will be on my way back home if not already here.  And I have Demerol.  I may go take one now.