Saturday, December 11, 2010

Play Audition

 Chandler tried out for a musical today with Keilee, she was amazing.  Just after we got there, she was called up to read lines, which she and Kei did with a British accent.  hehehe!  Then, several of the little girls were singing church songs for their singing audition and she gets up there and launches into My Eyes from Dr. Horrible.  YES!  She messed up one word, but went right back to it. 

This one is so funny, Chan's up there, looking over her lines, listening to the director and BAM, she sees the Dalmatian tissue box sitting there and it freaked her out!  hahaha
"What the..."
The lighting was awful, I did not want to use my flash.  I was the only person taking pictures, I wonder what's up with everyone else!  

Yes, and I was THE geek mom who pinned her number to her shirt.  Apparently past a certain age, the cool kids pin them to their PANTS.  Oh.  


Karen is taking them to see the list tomorrow, to see if they both were cast.  I won't sleep again tonight, I swear, I am SO much more stressed than the kids about this stuff.  Chan turned to me AFTER we got there and said, "So...what do you think I should sing?"  Ack!

My roommate in college was auditioning for a summer program at Julliard.  I have been around the diva type and heard the same song about 900 times the weeks before the audition.  Chan did not even hum this past week.  I think there is something in between the two.


I love her composure, she isn't rattled or silly.  I told Matt I was glad she was not me, that she did not have my fears.  I got to thinking on the way home, it's because when she goes to these things, ALL of the other kids are doing the same thing she is. Some are good, some are terrible, but they all get up there.  She's never heard anyone suggest it's a scary experience to be on stage because everyone wants to be on stage.  She's never been judged by peers for what she's wearing or her hair or...anything.  The girls all tell each other how fantastic they are.  hahaha!  And they ARE great girls, all so smart and wildly talented.  But, it reminded me that homeschooling is a gift. 

She sent word a few minutes before her turn that she was singing something by Tori Amos.  Okay...that could go either way.  Matt and I held a quick conference about potentially interfering with her choice while Karen sang and danced a bawdy tale of seduction to demonstrate the worst that could possibly happen.  We decided to sit on our hands and let her make her own decision.  Then on stage, she announced she was singing a song from Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog.

I think she did a great job, especially considering the time she spent working on it, LOL!!