Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter Walk

One of the few things I actually enjoy about winter are the scattered days of warmth, days when the wind does not rip the breath from your chest, when the sun shows up for at least a while. 

On these days, I like to go outdoors.  We have had a few of these lately, and the first one, I used to clean up in the yard and clean out the bedding in the shed and replace that.  Today, I decided to head into the woods for a couple hours.  Ben kept company until I reached the pasture, then Jake fell behind as we got to the campsite.  I headed down to the creek with the dogs, who were thrilled by every leaf and smell and track they saw.  I always feel like I should walk with them more often when we go out, they get so happy.

At the creek, I was again abandoned as the dogs went running like crazed things up and down the game trails, no doubt scenting out every animal that has taken a sip in the last week.

I settled in to listen to the creek for a few minutes and just to the side of where I sat, there were some mushrooms.






I love mushrooms!  These were a surprise, I don't recall seeing them this late in the year before.


 Zephyr stuck close to Jess in the woods, it was so cute, like a baby bird and a mama.



Oh no!  Zeppie did not make it all the way across the creek! 


Kuma was with us, sort of...