Monday, January 10, 2011

January Snow

brings...February...um...

Well, anyway, here at home, we got some 6 inches of snow last night! 

This morning, I got up and decided what I should do is go hiking.

So, off we went, Jake stayed in, Ben and Chan wanted to play in the yard, so Matt and I went down to the creek with the dogs.

We walked along the creek a while, then cut up the hill and then got lost a little, then disagreed with where we were exactly and split up.  Matt was right, I was heading toward Georgia.  He got home just enough ahead of me to decide I had fallen down the hill and smacked my head into a rock.  He spent a while going back and forth over being glad I was not dead to being mad that I was so stubborn and made him worry.  I think the dial is back around to glad, but he did shoot me a dirty look when I asked if he wanted to go hike again tomorrow.

My hip, which has been hurting for days, decided to quit allowing my right leg to actually move very far, so I was stuck sort of dragging it through the top layer of snow.  Kuma, bless him, would run ahead of me and plow the snow, then come behind me and nudge my legs.  When the path was wide enough, he would come beside me and put his head under my hand.  : )  He's such a good boy, I think I made him very happy being a straggler and forcing him to use his herding instincts to get me to the barn. 

I finally came out over in the pasture beyond the property line and walked up through the woods and past Judy's and down the road to the house.  As soon as I got my wet stuff off, my hip stopped hurting.  Grrrr! 

I figured out today that if we wrap our sock feet in heavy plastic, then put on shoes, our shoes get soaked, but the feet stay dry.  The kids were thrilled about that discovery.  I think probably cave moms figured that out thousands of years ago, but still, it was a leap in comfort and non-frostbitteness around here.

 Kuma has cleared the path ahead, all is well, we are safe.








 Jessie is a pretty dog.
Her limp never showed up today, she seemed in great spirits and played and ran for hours.



 My sweet Kuma.


 Matt locates a high point and looks for home.
 Jessie says, "I will eat your face and everyone will call you That Dog With No Face Over There and you wil have no face, bwahahahahahaha!"

Just kidding!








 Chan did these snowmen.


In all, we walked about 2 miles in the snow, which was around 6 inches deep.
Most of that was uphill.