Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Salt Water Things

It's not news that the ocean scares the willies out of me.  I have often gone off about the things that live there.  Once, when I was swimming in the sea with Jacki, she was adamant about holding on to her daughters.  I said something about they would never learn to swim or something equally asinine.  I have let my kids jump into lakes and creeks since they could toddle.  She said if my kid was swept away, the body would wash up somewhere.  If hers were, she'd never see them again.  

The ocean is huge, it's full of life, despite our best efforts to destroy the whole of it.  I have been snorkeling and diving since I was 11, off the Bahamas, in Florida and off Grand Cayman.  I have swam with sting rays larger than myself, I have been in a small school of barracuda without incident, I have been wading with jellyfish and have sat on sea urchins and still have the scars to show for it.  

All of this in my mind is like our lake critters.  We have freshwater eels, I have been bitten viciously in the ankle by one in a place I have taken my own kids back to several times.  And, likely, yours too if you swim with us often.  We have HUGE fish, scary fish, there are snakes.  There are leeches.  There are pockets of deep water that no telling what is peeking up through the gloom at your lily white legs.
But none of them are sharks.  UGH, I am so freaked out by sharks that I can't even look at a picture without getting the creeping willies. 

Today, I am minding my own business reading Discovery News and see THIS:


http://news.discovery.com/animals/deepwater-sharks-diet.html