Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Monday, NBTS Party and more!

Yesterday was a LONG day! 

I got up with Matt at 4:30 and e-mailed Teresa because it's a 12 hour difference now and the math is not as hard as it was.  hahaha.  I have all these sticky notes charting the time difference between here and her ship, first when it was 10 p.m. here, it was 5 a.m. there and so on.  Now she's on the way back!  That's so exciting, I know she will be SO glad to be back on solid ground again and back to her family.

Since I was up anyway, I decided to get a jump on the day and we got the kids up (at 6:45) and we went ahead and dropped Matt off at work to keep from taking 2 cars into town.  The kids and I went on over to the clinic where I did the weigh-in and measurements and blood test for our insurance.  I am interested to see what my blood test results are, I have been a little worried about diabetes, enough that I dropped 15% of my weight last year.  It does not run in the family, but anything that can affect my eyes or my mobility later is NOT worth a slice of cake now.  I will feel better when I see what the results are.

After that, we had breakfast (egg and cheese croissants, SO yummy) and sat at the restaurant for a while, chatting about what movies are getting wrong these days and Jake gave me a full run-down of super heroes and how they all interconnect again.  He can do the same thing with Greek, Roman, Norse and Egyptian gods.  I wonder what skill category that falls into?  Total recall of made-up beings, their powers, positions and influence.  hahaha!  We tried it with the Presidents, but it does not stick.

The kids were sighing about the library when it occurred to me-it opened at 9!  We had nearly an hour to cruise the stacks before the pool opened!  They whooped and headed for the door.  The man in the booth behind us said, 'Those are not normal children.'  hahahaha!  I said, "Thank you SO much for saying so!"  Beaming, we left for the library.

It took barely 10 minutes for Jake and Chan to pile up my basket, so I got Jake to carry it for me while Ben and I looked for books for him.  He is not a big reader, in the past he has only agreed to books that were about building, doing, making, history or other facts.  I picked up a few Bunnicula books at an easy-reader level with bigger print and he went through them in a single day.  So we picked up more of those, he chose a couple chapter books and I added a few Dahl books for him, too.  I am so excited he's gotten more interested in reading!  Jake found the new Alex Rider book, he was very happy about that.  I LOVE the library.  It it was $100 a month to be a member, I would probably find a way to budget it in, it's that vital to our lives and we get that much use out of it.  We go 2-3 times a month and leave with several hundred dollars in books each time.  There's no way we could read as much as we do without it.  And it's only $25 a YEAR!  It's $80 a year just to go to the botanical gardens and they sure as heck won't let you walk out with an armload of anything for free!

Up at the pool, we signed in and hopped in!  It was LOVELY for a swim, perfect weather.  The rest of the folks started to trickle in and before we knew it, it was noon already!  We went on over to Katy's and I snacked a little on some fruit while the kids ran around.  At 12:45, we left to go to the orthodontist.  Chan got a new tensioner on her impacted tooth and Jake got pink brackets to celebrate his last checkup!  He gets them off in a month!  Eep!  I am really excited about that.

We headed back up to Katy's after a quick stop in at Taco Bell for a chicken burrito each.  We played and hung out and chatted until nearly 4, waited out a storm for good measure and we had to hit the road again to get Matt after work.  I was late getting there, the storm made for several wrecks, one on the only bridge out of town which is not far from where Matt works and traffic was backed up all the way to the Arsenal! 

It was no better heading to Madison and it took over an hour to get there.  We checked the movie times and grabbed dinner, then hit the 6:30 show with a full minute to spare!  I really like the $1 movies!  The theater is clean, there is usually a nice crowd, the sound and picture are good.  And $5 to see a movie that would usually cost us $45 is REALLY great.  We saw Pirates 4.  I did not like it as much, I guess the Kraken was my favorite thing and it's gone now.  Plus, Barbossa looked so old and scary, it was distracting. like something was going to fall off.  And all I could think about Jack was how much bigger his syphilis bloom was in this movie and wondered as to the state of his other parts.  Eep  I predict Triton is in the next movie.

We got in around 10, much to the delight of Small Dog, who temporarily forgot who we were and made a good stance to defend the house via posturing and shouting sharply 'row, row, row'.  She came inside, ran around and around like a nutcase and fell asleep in about 3.5 minutes.  The kids were right behind her in that effort!! I checked my e-mail and went to make sure they had brushed and they were sacked out.