Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Acorn Squash


 There are several things you can do with cool-weather squashes, like this yummy Acorn Squash!  We bought several types lately, I will try to remember to take pictures of what we do with them!

There are stickers on the store-bought squash that say you can poke holes in them and microwave for 10 minutes.  That's fine if you don't want the seeds.  I would rather bake mine.

I cut them in half-no small feat as the skin is THICK, and Ben scooped out the guts to dry. I just put them in foil and lay them on the porch for a week or so to dry out.

 Lay them open-side down on a pan and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, add more while they cook.  I put these in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes.  Check for doneness with a fork.  I cooked butternut squash at the same time to make the next night.

Ben says acorn squash look like a bunch of cucumbers got together and made a pumpkin. 

I filled the seed-space with a mix of stuffing that I had in a box in the pantry, some wild rice, cranberries and pecans. 

We ate them with cranberry sauce, sliced apples and pears.