Friday, December 30, 2011

Thursday!

On Thursday, we headed out to have an adventure.  Matt wanted to geocache, I wanted to check out a new campground and we all wanted to go to the museum and see the sun set at Cheaha.

We started out leaving later than I planned, which set everything back an hour.  Then the place Matt wanted to cache was not where I had understood it to be, so we ended up driving a long way to get there.  We cached about an hour and then went to get lunch and to check out the campground.   There is a bridge out about 5 miles back on the roads you take to get there, so I did not get to see it.  : (  By the time we got back out to a paved road, it was after 3, so we decided to skip the museum this time in order to get to the state park and play a while before the sun went down.

We were taking some family shots and Matt nailed his head on a rock, which pretty much ended the whole 'fun' part of the evening, so we drove around to watch the sun set and headed home.  Not the great adventure I had hoped for, but I do know the roads to the campground are maintained and hard-packed, I would take Poppy out there for a few days.  If I knew what the campground looked like.

We went caching at the old Coosa River Annex in Talladega.

It's that part of Alabama that is a combination of pine trees, bramble and red mud

There are these 'igloos' all over the 300 some odd acres. They used to house explosives.

Now they hold graffiti and tire marks.  The echo inside is amazing, I have never heard anything like it.


There was a cemetery in the annex, so I had to go check it out. It was run-down and depressing, the graves were in the side of a rocky red hill and none had been tended in years, most of the stones were falling apart.

It looks like the city might be doing something with some of the old bunkers.  We passed this crew right near the front cutting a bigger opening into the front of one of the bunkers.  There is a man in a white hard hat sitting down beside that truck.  He's operating a water-cooled cutter via remote!

I really did not take many pictures, this is at Cheaha out on Bald Rock.


The sunset was not spectacular.  There were no clouds to bounce color off of and the sun was simply directly ahead and blinding.  I got what I could, it was FREEZING on the brow.