Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wednesday!

So, we went to get the boy and decided to go hiking at Bankhead.  This was at great personal expense, as we missed a chocolate-based party this evening, making 2 kids and one mom pretty sad.  *sigh*  But we do have an early day tomorrow, it was the responsible decision.  *sigh*

We opted to find Kinlock Shelter, which Suzette has been to and SAID she would show me how to find it, but that was a few years ago now and I can't wait forever.  Luckily, there is a geocache there, so we were able to hike back using the GPS. 



There just are not loads of ways to take a picture of a big opening in the earth and have any perspective...





After hanging out there a while, we went down to the falls and walked around.  I thought to myself, "I should jump off this small cliff.  That way if I hurt myself, I will have time to heal before the trip."  So, I sat down and scooted to the edge and then lost my nerve, but I was sliding s l o w l y toward falling off anyway, all the while my yoga pants were scrunching up my crack.  I contemplated the drop.  About 4 feet.  I clenched in an attempt to slow myself. With nothing to hang on to, I could not push myself back up the sloped rock. Then Matt showed up and climbed down to the base caught me as I slipped over the edge and I did a little dance while trying to evict my pants.  I am SURE my brain kicked up some reasonable explanation as to why I should try to jump off a small cliff-other than having a few months to heal, but I am damned if I can recall what it was. 



 Still working on using the macro on the new camera.  It's tricky...
I still prefer the big camera for macro, but don't prefer to tote it around!






This is a sock!  It's a garden, too.  Ben was very amused when he saw it.






I was going for...dramatic, with the roots and the sun beams and the...headless husband. 

I looked out my window as I pulled back onto the road and saw THIS.

Pine Torch Church, the oldest standing structure in Bankhead.

I love these old stones.  There was a Riddle family in the same cemetery and someone named Granny Spain and a man whose middle name was Uranus, but he went by the nickname Rainbow.


Today is National Chocolate Day.  I had to be happy with a Luna bar.
Tomorrow is Pepper Pot Day.  Apparently you use tripe to make a soup with peppercorn and meat.  Another skip-able celebration in my book!  Anything that starts with stomach tissue as a ingredient lacks the appeal necessary to make me want to take part in it.