Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Five

Today marked the end of 5 weeks of walking/jogging at least 3.66 miles a day, 6 days a week.
I have not lost a single pound in the past 4 weeks.  Not sure what's up with that, as I have not eaten more than 1500 calories in any given day.  But, my stamina is up and I am sweating through 2 layers and my legs feel really strong.  I want to hit 3.66 miles a day for a total of 150 days to get my 550 mile goal.  THAT'S my goal, though I'd be crazy to deny I'd like another 10-20 pound loss before the end.  Here's hoping that will happen and in the meantime, sticking with the mileage.

UPDATE: I read my book on running last night and it said women usually don't lose weight right off when they start a regular rigorous exercise program, the fat is burned, but they make more muscle and blood, so the scales stay the same for a while despite body changes.  Ah!  Also, I have to move around more all day long, not just to walk, which is an issue in the colder months for sure.  I don't like to get out of my nest.  I play online, I read, I putter around the house and run any local errands, then I exercise, then have a long bath while reading more and then get out and watch a movie or get back online again.  

The last thing that could help is upping my water.  I have already given up soda (I know, this is the...3rd time?) but not totally.  LOL  The first times, I tried cold turkey and that lasted as long as I was home but the first time we went out to grab fast food somewhere, I got a diet coke!  Then I was hot turkey and started buying them again.  THIS time, it's more for the budget than the butt, I can't manage to spend the money on things we don't need when I want this trip so badly.  So I buy one or two a week and only have a glass with lunch or dinner and drink water the rest of the day. 

The key to burning fat (according to the book, which involved some 20,000 female walker/runners) is 3 sessions of 45+ minutes of exercise a week with no more than 2 days off between and one 90+ minute session at least once a week.  Anything less than 25 minutes is not using stored fat, it's using what's in the blood and it creates lactic acid.  We all know from watching Magic Schoolbus that lactic acid will make your muscles sore!  The key to not making lactic acid is...breathing!  Don't pant.