Friday, March 2, 2012

Weather

Ugh, today has been another extreme weather day.  We have been VERY lucky, a tornado-spawning cell came right up the highway not a mile from here.  The weather guy kept yelling out our town and how it was right on us.  I swear, I am with Chan-she wants to move to Oregon because you never hear anything about the weather there.  I don't like this extreme severe stuff, today was scary.  We are still under 'watch your back' until 2 a.m. but it does not seem like anything will come of it.

Last check we had 53 tornadoes from this storm system.  So the fact that we are unharmed again-80th tornado season for our house-is wonderful news.  After the really scary hide-in-the-closet warnings with the weather siren going off and the radio blaring alarms and the weather guy yelling out the very store I was in an hour before as being right in the path, we got the all-clear and went outside.  The kids ran around and laughed and danced, Matt and I sat in the swings and everyone was giddy with relief.  I will admit, I was a little freaked!


I feel awful for those people who lost homes-some lost the very same house they JUST rebuilt from 11 months ago.  I don't know how you go on from that.  I guess you back up your files and don't get too attached.  That seems a terrible way to live. 

Despite the scary afternoon, we had a good day.  I was high energy again and got lots of stuff done to keep myself busy.  I got another haircut, any shorter and I could have just buzzed it at home!  We all worked on various projects during our computer downtime from 10-12.  Chan wrote her penpal and sent her the drawing below:


Chan sometimes will use a picture I took and draw from it.  I LOVE the drawings she does.


 I saw this snake while I was on the phone with Suzette, who crank-called me claiming she was trying to dial Dave.


 Kat did NOT see the snake.  I wrote 'snake' on the pic in case you don't see it, either.


Having lost over $200 in cold food the last tornadoes, I did not buy much fresh/frozen foods this week since the weather stations have been talking about this system for days.  I boiled up our eggs and we had microwave meals for lunch.  As you can see, Marvin from Jake's egg drop finally met his doom.  Or, at least got boiled.  I guess his doom will be when he's eaten this weekend.  Poor Marvin.  Jake said he could not eat him.

I made a huge pot of soup with most of the veggies still in the freezer and Chan baked muffins, I made trail mix and hummus and bought stuff like crackers and tuna and the types of fruit that you can leave in bowls on the counter.  Everything else in there can be made into salad, sandwiches or cooked in a microwave, which we have in the camper and could hook to the car inverter if we had to.

In all, we were insanely lucky.  I hate the severe weather, but it does give a new perspective on things.  We have a house with a roof, we have each other, our pets and vehicles are unharmed.  It's good to not take that for granted every now and then.