Tuesday, July 31, 2012

38!

Today I give up my mantle of 37 and take on being 38. This is sad because I dreamed just a few weeks ago that I found a book called 'How to Excel at Being 37' and now, I am not.

I was born 7 years old.  Because there are no photos of me any younger.


I managed to do a few things this past year that I can take off my life list.  I saw the Pacific Ocean, I saw the Grand Canyon. Saw the desert.  Went to Carlsbad and Roswell.  I added 4 states to my list, making it a full 30 states I have been to.  My goal is all 50 by 50, I think I can do it.  I got back in touch with 2 old friends, met up with one already and planning to meet up with the other in September.  I lost 10 more pounds for a total of 40 that I have kept off (with some minor regain/loss) for 9 months now, so time to get going with the NEXT 10.  After I have my cake, of course.

10th birthday

This next year will hold some new things for me as well.  We are planning a road trip, we will be debt free by March, Matt may get a promotion, we will adopt a new dog, possibly Famous-though he really needs a family with smaller kids and/or a more active dog than my fur furniture that will run his legs off playing.  Maybe another camping dog, I miss Zephyr.  Who knows what else will happen?

Freshman year, woo!

There are so many possibilities, but I mostly hope for a few adventures and many days at home with the kids and Matt, just being together, homeschooling without drama, watching the kids grow and learn and take on new things, driving them all over creation for another play or two or three, days with friends, nights in the camper, miles on our legs as we hike and bike.  Maybe this year, a canoe!


The prom I went to with Josh because Matt never asked.  *sigh*

There is so much potential in a period of time, so much room for happiness in a simple life, so many new places to see and things to try, no matter how long we have.  I am grateful, every day, for my children, for our freedom to homeschool, for living in this house, for Matt working and being happy that I am home.  I am grateful for our health, for our pets, for cars that run, for a camper with wheels and an air conditioner, for a sturdy body that keeps getting stronger despite my advancing age.  : )  For friends who take up the role of family, for Suzette who never beats around the bush, for the kids we know and love, for community theater, for mechanics who don't cheat, for the public library system, for the internet, for my camera and the chance to improve my ability in an area I love.  And, as always, I am thankful for the time that we have had.  Nearly 4 decades of excellent health and of things only getting better, I don't take it for granted, I never want to discount any of it.  Every experience, good or bad, has served to make a whole me.

Bakin the Jake!


I have so much to look forward to and so much I still hope to accomplish, but I don't feel I am missing anything from my life right now.  I love each day-most days (I do recall a period of dog-related drama less than 2 months ago and of car-related drama just 2 weeks back!), I don't feel that I will be happy 'when'.  When we have the debt paid off or when the kids are established on their own or when Matt gets a raise or when I lose this last chunk of weight-those will all be wonderful things when they happen, but not necessary for happiness.  Just added happiness.  My cup is full, I feel blessed, I feel loved, I feel worthwhile, I am content.  I think that's pretty damn awesome, even if that's all I accomplish with this life.




Happy Birthday to me!