Monday, August 13, 2012

Walls of Jericho Part 2 with Sauta Cave


 After exploring a while, we started the hike out.  The kids and I stopped to swim one last time before starting the 3 mile climb out, Matt and Gina went on ahead of us.  We played a while, but the water was SO cold, we decided to just head back up. 

The hike out was not as bad as I had imagined, but harder to do than I had really thought out.  Climbing uphill is psychological as much as physical.  You look up ahead and the trail KEEPS going up and it's hard to want to keep going.  You get out of breath and have to stop so you can get your breathing back under control, it's hard work.  But over-all, it was not THAT bad.  I had to keep telling myself it was one less step each time.  I don't think I could have done it with much more weight on my back, though.  Not yet anyway.





I thought it looked like the tree was sticking out its tongue!


hahahaha, Look at Jake!  He cracks me up sitting like that.



Baby frog!




Jake is convinced he's draining the lactic acid from his legs.
I had to tell him 'elevated' does not mean off the ground, it means above your heart.


This log was like some woodland Granny had gotten after it with her bracket fungi beadazzler.

We drove the half hour to Taco Bell and then headed to Sauta Cave to see the bats come out.
White nose syndrome has been found in caves in AL, it wipes out 90% of the bat population in any cave it's found in, so we wanted to be sure to see the mass exodus in case it wipes out this colony.  : (




 Ben's eyes have gone from sky blue to grass green to dark green and now they are very nearly dark grey.

















There's just no easy way to get a picture of a bat in flight.  The bright blurs are bats.
 


On the way home, I played with long exposure on the camera.  Check out the photography blog (link at the top) for more shots.