Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday

Yesterday we went to Cathy's to hang out and swim and then Matt met us there after work and the 5 of us drove to my Aunt Thula's house for dinner with some of my family before the funeral on Thursday.  I got to see my cousin Nicole, I had not seen her since I was pregnant with Ben!  

My mother was there, it was the first time we had seen her in 3 and a half years.  I was most surprised about poor Jake.  They were very close, then the whole final falling out happened, and he was literally caught in the middle.  The last time we saw her, she had grabbed his arm to get him out of the way of her car and slung him into the hood.  It was the only time in his life he can recall being harmed by an adult and it left a mark.  He was terrified, not just when it happened, but for days afterward.

It all came back last night when he saw her and he got totally stiff, would not hug her, was unable to move to come inside.  I waited with him a moment, thinking he was being a jerk or aloof-he was wearing sunglasses and I could not see half his face-I admonished him a little to just TRY to get through the evening, he really can be quite a twerp when he is somewhere he chooses not to be.  When he took his sunglasses off, it was to hastily wipe his eyes and he went into the bathroom for several minutes before he was able to come out again.  She surprised us all by leaving him alone, which he remarked on the way home that he was very grateful for.



The whole family visited over dinner, which was supplied by my aunt's church.  Everyone had a favorite 'Grandmother' story they shared and there was lots of laughing over her many antics.  My aunt had Grandmother's rocker in the living room, the worn arm rests and that crazy jungle-print pad tied on the bottom and back brought back SO many memories.  I can hear the creak-creak of it in my mind still.  She kept it on a small rug on her hardwood floor living room, near the big stove.  I don't remember her rocking me, but I have seen her sit and rock younger cousins and the Christmas after he was born, she held Jake and rocked him.  He was the only one of my kids to be held by her, she was not strong enough once Channa came along 2 years later.  


It was so much smaller than I remember.


Today will be a hard day and a long day.  Visitation starts at 1 for the family, 2 for everyone else and the funeral is at 4.  Burial to follow and then dinner at Grandmother's church.  Somewhere in there, Matt has to go to band practice, which I think is really bad timing.  I am not looking forward to being left without him.  I will hang out until he is done, so around 9 probably.  


I can't sleep.  I came in last night and could barely move, I was SO tired.  Matt was trying to chatter when he came to bed and I remember getting on to him for annoying me, him making snorty noises of annoyance about that and that is all I knew until around 3 when I woke up feeling too hot and too full-though I barely ate so it can't be from food. 


I thought I might have something on my mind, but I don't seem to now that I am sitting here typing.  I fact, I just spent the last 20 minutes looking up prices for a week-long stay at Universal in Orlando.  There are some really great off-season rates on rooms, a 3-bedroom condo is $69 a night.  Of course once they add in booking fees, taxes, resort fees and so on, it's closer to $100 a night.  Still, a week at Hogwart's would 'only' run us around $1100.  I could do with some butterbeer and a new wand.  I am thinking of adding a couple days to our trip next year to visit Universal.  I know Ben would like some more thrilling coasters and none of us could pass up playing Harry Potter for a day.  They have a great group rate...plus they offer a special homeschooler rate for families:

HOME SCHOOL FAMILIES
OFFER VALID SEPTEMBER 1, 2010 – JUNE 30, 2011 
Experience an entire Universe of action, thrills and excitement at Universal
Orlando
® Resort with discounted tickets for FPEA members!
Jump into the action of the movies at Universal Studios®. Feel the rush of
adrenaline at Universal's Islands of Adventure
®.
1-Day Base Ticket:    $50.06 tax inclusive, per person*
1-DayPark-to-Park:    $62.84 tax inclusive, per person*

That seems steep until you look at their regular rates and see a park-to-park one-day ticket is $109 plus tax.  So, it's about half off.  Something to keep in mind for next year, anyway.  

I am going back to bed, hopefully I will be stuck by a stupefy spell.  

Do not counter with Rennervate until at least 9 a.m.  ; )