Sunday, August 1, 2010

Another...

month, year, start, finish.

I have not posted in a week, there has not been much going on to post about.

Yesterday was my birthday, a total non-event.  I am 36 now.

It's been hot, we did some work on the roof-me in the attic poking the leaky areas we marked with a screwdriver while Matt and Jake ran around on the roof spreading roof cement and sealing nail holes.  Jake is such an...oblivious type.  He runs, jumps off the roof instead of using the ladder, he hops around like a mad rabbit.  In short, he terrifies me while he's up there.  I have thought his whole life that he just needs to get hurt one good time to learn care, but he never has, he does not even get sick.  He has had no taste of mortality, knows not what that flavor might be.  In my mouth, it's pennies and rust, a coppery taste that immediately causes my stomach to ache and clench and roll and my heart follows suit.  Every grey hair on my head is a near-miss in his life.

I am hoping to go swimming today, we have been home all week and I am ready to do something.  I did get Jake's hair cut at the local place.  I like it very much, which means it's too short for his taste.  I will have to get a picture of it.

I am still stalled at 9 pounds to go, which I am glad of, because until a couple of days ago, it was back up to 11 pounds to go.  I don't know what else to do to get the weight to move other than add in more exercise, which will have to wait for cooler weather.  Not even that last 9 pounds is worth the 108 heat index out there.  It's a hot summer, very hot.  Almost as hot as it was cold over the winter, and that's saying something.  The little pigs lay with their bellies on the ground and the dogs have dug up their hidey hole under the forsythia to expose as much cool dirt as they can.  The cats lay in the shade, they all sleep most of the day away, stirring to nibble or have a drink and then find a more comfy way to lay and sack out again.

Wish me luck stirring the bones.  Between the heat and my advancing age, the cats seem to have a pretty good plan-I am tempted to play kitty.  I am a Leo and a Tiger, I can't help myself. : )