Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday

From Tea Time for the Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith:

A Tuesday morning, thought Mma Ramotswe, is a good day on which to start work on a case.  This was largely because of the positioning of Tuesday: Monday was difficult for no other reason than it was Monday, the start of another week, with the prospect of another weekend as distant as it ever could be.  Wednesday was halfway through the week and a day on which, for some reason, there always seemed to be rather too much to do.  By Thursday one was getting tired, and then on Friday, with the end in sight, one was in no mood to begin anything.  That left Tuesday, which it was now; the day on which Mma Ramotswe found herself contemplating afresh the list of football players and deciding which of them to investigate first.

I got the first 2 discs of the series in, No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and fell in LOVE with Precious Ramotswe and the people in her life.  Yesterday at the library, I scored a half-dozen or so of McCall-Smith's books, some from this series, some from other series he has written.  We are listening to The Good Husband of Zebra Drive in the van and I am reading one of the books now. 


The Spoils of My Day
ahhhhhhh

See the peel and seal holding up one end of the stack?  Yes-we are attempting to repair part of the roof with STICKERS.  I wanted unicorn print, but Matt insisted on aluminum coated.  It's actually to flash the chimney and it's made for such things, it's just amusing to me.

Another TV show we are liking (via Netflix of course) is The Dresden Files.  Those are written by Jim Butcher and the library has many of his books-but not actually ON the shelf.

Speaking of the library, Ben and Chan were in hysterics yesterday looking at the shelves.  First, in the adult fiction, there was a shelf 'Dun-For'.  Then the next one over said 'Hed-Jam' which was hilarious and then in the large print area, the first shelf was 'A-Bra'.  Chandler nearly fell over.
This was just after looking at the framed photos on display in the atrium-one had a typo ON the print label and it read 'Southside Squarf' instead of 'Square'.  It was in all upper case, so it was not QUITE as noticeable, but of course we spotted it and managed to use 'squarf' about 60 times in the next 4 minutes.  It works best as a vague threat and/or a description of a strange food.  Ah, good times.

We had dinner at Moe's, thanks to my Secret Sister-who somehow knew I like Moe's, hmmm-and the free meal certificate they send for your birthday, we made out QUITE well for dinner for 5 for $10!  

When I got in, I popped online to check in and saw a post on my cousin's FB page about our grandmother being with Jesus now.  News to me!

She was 91 and had been ready to go for several years-after multiple death-bed visits, the first one I can recall was in 6th grade.  Actually-I recall it MORE because I was in my mother's science class.  We had to make a model of a plant and animal cell that night for homework.  I was AT THE HOSPITAL WITH MY MOTHER.  The next day, I did not have my homework, so I got paddled in the hall BY MY MOTHER, who then whipped me at home for having gotten a paddling at school.  I just...well...anyway.

Grandmother had many, many 'call in the family' events, I don't want to say she liked the drama, but it did always rally her, sometimes for years, sometimes-like this last time-only for another couple of weeks.  She suffered intermittently with Alzheimer's-it came and went.  I don't think it's really Alzheimer's when it goes away-maybe only dementia?  My mother has a tendency to make the worst of a situation, so the label got tossed around until it stuck.

At any rate, today we are trying on clothes, I am happy to say at least that my funereal garb from years past is fitting so well that Matt made a pass at me in my black dress this morning.  Normally, I look like I am swathed in a tent if I wear a dress.  Yay weight loss!

I have to get shoes for all 3 kids and myself and pants for Jake and probably a shirt.  I need hose, they all need socks.  I don't know if Chan should wear lacy socks or panty hose or go bare legged.  12 is not an easy age for anyone, even if it's not you.