Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dear Diary

I actually found a diary from childhood and I spelled it 'dairy' for about 3 years.  I have a special relationship with cheese.

I thought I would just jot down what we did today, to keep an ongoing list in one place.  It helps being able to look back over later.

At any rate, I tried to get Matt to call in 'sick' and play hooky with us off on a trail somewhere today.  He woke up this morning and asked, in a sad voice, if he could call in sick because he was sick.  LOL  Oh well.  So, I ran some errands this morning-returned the carpet cleaner at 8, picked up dog food.  Back home, Matt was sort of up and moving around.  Allergies made him their bitch.

Around 10, we went to town to get the stuff to fix the spigot this weekend and...well, Hobby Lobby has their yard stuff 50% off this week, so we started off there.  $30 later (hey, could have been $60!) we ran to Lowe's and had a big discussion about various ways to fix the spigot.  The handle sprayed water all over when it was on and it was a PITA to turn off-you had to use a screwdriver.  The spigot is cemented into the base of the house, we can't just take it off and replace it, so it has not been on in about 3 years.  We opted to get a secondary on/off thingy and try to epoxy the handle of the original spigot while it was open. 

A quick pop-in at Wal-Mart to buy more solar lights (they are a buck!) we got some lunch and came home, stopping to get cookies at the bakery.  We have not been there in a LONG time...

I repotted the two herbs we picked up and Matt decided to tackle the water spigot today, so he shut off the water at the main line and put the epoxy on the handle.  About 10 minutes later, he turned the water main back on.  It worked!  Which is good because he...permanently sealed the water spigot OPEN.  The secondary switch works perfectly, not a drip.  I am glad, but ill because dang-3 YEARS of hauling buckets of water from the hall tub or rain barrel to the goats and dogs.  And plants.  And it was THAT easy-a $3 part and 10 minutes.  


I could strangle Matt sometimes...and I can't think of a single time he watered anything.  If it does not directly affect him, he can't be bothered until I bring it up so many times I feel like he acts just to shut me up.  Grrrrrr  I don't WANT to be a nag.  But I don't want to be stuck doing EVERYTHING, either.  Until today with the work-around, it was going to involve going under the house to re-run a new pipe from the main line to connect a new spigot to.  Guess what is under there?  About 8 BILLION camel crickets.  Even if it was just 8, there are only a few things in this world I am unwilling to take on in the name of getting something off my list.  Camel fucking crickets is number one.


The rest of the afternoon, we moved a maple tree from under the big pine to the front, I love maples.  I clipped about 200 pounds of privet from under the double pines, we burned another bunch of dead branches-it's like zombie yard out there, I can't figure where all these sticks and branches are coming from-and I fiddled around with the stuff we got at HL, which included 4 new knobs for the kitchen (also half off).  I really like my eclectic knob collection, I only need 7 more!  Then, the handles.  I am saving the old ones in case we move at some point.  I don't want to leave my hardware.  LOL

I thought we would collect them as we traveled, but...somehow we have never stumbled upon a mismatched handle shop.  Anywhere.  At all, ever.  So, I get them at Hobby Lobby and World Market.  Not very exotic...

That's it, not a tiring day other than the clipping privet, which is like Satan's butt hair.  The kids put up the new solar lights.

We had dinner, spinach fettuccine made with Jerusalem artichoke flour.  I LOVED it.  We watched Gentleman Broncos which was surprisingly good, despite the reviews.  Maybe you have to homeschool to appreciate a movie about a homeschooler.  Yeah, he's a little awkward, but at least he's himself and not frontin'.  You can tell he's trying to find his footing and navigate the world from where he finds himself.  And he's...himself.  I liked the movie.

Tomorrow everyone comes over to celebrate spring and St. Patrick's Day and that I did not die on the 14th and the fence is done.  We are going to eat an early dinner together and watch the sunset and the solar lights will come on and it will be lovely.