Sunday, March 20, 2011

First Day of Spring

This was the view out the kitchen window when we woke up this morning!  The crabapple has bloomed again, it did not last year, and I thought it might be dying.  Maybe it's just feeling its age.

We went to Decatur to pick up Chan from Keilee's house and on the way, we stopped at Academy to get water purifier and looked at shoes.  I ended up with 2 pair, a light walking and a heavier hiking with ankle support.  We scored a pair of good hikers for Jake as well and I picked up a pair of pants on clearance that are a size smaller than I have been wearing.  They fit very well, I am quite pleased!  They have SPF 30 in the fabric and dry super fast.  I think I will be in them all summer!

Heather came and met us at Karen's and we went to Wheeler to hike and ended up walking a little over 4 miles in a loop down to the river and back.  It was a nice leg-stretcher, though my feet are killing me, I got blisters on BOTH feet from the new shoes.  I am really bummed, but Matt thinks it's my arch supports I added in combo with my socks being too loose.  After 20 years of wearing adult-sized socks, I have finally realized I need boy-sized socks.  My feet are just too little and the womens size 5-9 socks have too much slack and they rub.  So, I am going to buy little socks and see if that helps.


The pics below are from various points along the 4+ mile walk around by the river and back between the bridges.


















On the way home, we stopped and picked up a few groceries.  I don't plan to go anywhere this week unless I have to.  We stopped in to see the deer and emu, as soon as I saw my nemesis, my old battle scar started throbbing.  Matt thinks there is a hemu and a shemu and I riled the shemu.  All I know is, emu growl.



Happy first day of spring!  The weather was perfect, I hope that sets a trend for the rest of the year!!