Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tofu and things to do with it

When trying to watch our weight and keep the food budget in hand, eating protein-heavy meals is a must.  But, I don't like meat-the flavor, the texture...the antibiotics and hormones, the fact that meat is made from caged animals...enter tofu.

We have put tofu in casseroles, that's fine.  We have mixed it in omelets, fine. Cubed up in egg drop soup, mixed with rice and beans...

I was getting a little tired of playing 'hide the tofu' which, despite it's protein content is NOTHING like playing 'hide the salami'. 

Recently we have tried 3 things with it that have been actually-and to my surprise-pretty good.

The kids love spring rolls, where I bake the tofu in strips soaked in soy sauce and mix it with noodles, veggies and mint to stuff in the wrappers.  So, I cut a slab of tofu into strips and soaked it overnight in soy sauce and tossed it in the wok with sliced onions and garlic, added broccoli and served it over rice.  Yummy!  Everyone, including Jake, loved it.

Next, I cubed it up and put it in spag sauce overnight and then mixed it into lasagna.  Another hit!  Okay, so that's LIKE hiding it, but the point is, everyone ate it.  Well, not Jake, he won't eat lasagna anyway.

Today, we heated up 2 cubes in a skillet, chopping it into small pieces and seasoned it with taco seasoning.  Then put it on whole grain tortillas with refried black beans, my favorite garlic salsa and a little cheese.  Yummer!

The main thing being, with tofu, it HAS to be seasoned to get any play around here.  I will keep looking for more options for cooking with it.   If anyone has any suggestions, send them my way.  I need easy, I am not exactly a whiz in the kitchen.