Friday, March 25, 2011

More Flowers

Went to the Wildflower Trail today and strolled around, then the kids scootered around the lake a couple of times.  I like to think I am okay with giving them a little freedom like that, but the whole time they were out of sight in that one stretch, I stood totally rigid and watching for the instant they popped back into view.  I am having a hard time finding that balance as they get older of keeping aware of where they are and who is near them and giving them a chance to find their own footing.

We are going to start volunteering a couple days a month, there are only a few people working on the gardens and some of them are getting older and all the bending and kneeling are taking their toll.  It will be a great chance to do something in an area we have enjoyed for years as well as learn more about plants and wildflowers from people who know much more than I do.  I am pretty excited about it and the kids seem gung-ho about giving it a try.


Spring Beauty

Violet

Some kind of azalea.  I wanted to name Kat Azalea and Matt forbade it. 

I'm going to say giant chickweed

Red fern!  I think it's a cinnamon fern.

The first dogwood bloom I have seen this year!

Waxy buttercup

Sailing by on her scooter, I manage to get a shot of a backhoe emerging from her head.

Eastern shooting star


The earliest grape hyacinth is fading already

Waxy buttercup and Spring Beauty

Lilac in the front yard

Phlox...I think

Just because I know I will get asked, it's the way her shirt hangs, despite all the blooms, she has not blossomed overnight!

Trillium

Stonecrop