Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Revelations

Today, while out walking, I realized.  I want to backpack and camp and go all these places I can only get to by foot, but, I don't like walking all that much.  It's tiring and stuff.  I am not sure what to do about this, maybe it's the pollen talking or maybe I need better shoes or to get off my duff and walk even more.  But gah.  I get tired, my feet hurt, I find myself wanting a hot bath, I don't like weight on my back.  Nia just won't get big enough to help carry stuff, I need a llama.

I have always known that weather extremes are horrific to me, I don't like being hot or cold and I really, really, really don't like being wet.  I think I may need to rethink my backpacking plans and look more at staying in a nice motel with a heated pool and breakfast buffet.  *sigh*  Maybe I can hike with my llama from one hot springs to the next, in pleasant and dry weather for 2-3 day stints. 

Maybe I need a remote robot like that one Sheldon has, and I can roll it up the Appalachian Trail and wince when the temps are under 50 or over 80 and just turn off the remote viewing screen if it rains.  Also, bugs.  I don't like them landing on my ears.  I think that's all.  Oh, smelling sweaty.  I don't want to smell myself.  Okay, I feel better.  I think I can get over most of my list, I just don't feel well right now.  I would think mono if I had any chance at exposure.  I had mono once, it was much like this.  Random fevers, feeling really tired and whiny, not wanting to DO anything.  Achy and stiff neck and shoulders...

Today we hit Bean Road at the Refuge again, I was still sleepy, despite my hearty sleeping overnight.  We decided we would walk the whole roadway and then get lunch and decide if we wanted to walk Airport Road as well.  I knew about 20 minutes in, I was not interested in adding more miles.  By the time we were back to the van, I had decided I wanted 2 things: hot salty fries and a hot soapy bath.  As Matt and I agreed at Burger King over fries straight out of the vat (thank you Jeffery and Eddie), there are SO many ways to undo a 6 mile walk.  They have these things called cheesy tots now, and molten chocolate balls and coffee with caramel.  We are having baked fish and salad for dinner.  *sigh*  Fries...

 That dot back there is Matt, I walked off and left him at the van and did not realize it right away and so I stopped to wait and he was all ansty and unhappy.  He HATES to be left.



 The whole walk was punctuated by the flow of water draining to the river
about 500 yards away. 

 You'd think he was over being left, but as I turned to look at him, I noticed I was getting the Stink Eye.  Soon after came the Hissy Fit.


 You may think I overexposed the above shot, but no, that's the sun shining off his lily white back after a full season of being covered.


 Still mad about being left, he tries to Spiderman shoot me.
If he HAD gotten web in my hair, I would have had a hissy of my own...

 THAT is pollen, it is FEBRUARY.


 We took the Dancy Bottoms Trail that runs off Bean Road,
but it was flooded out about half a mile in.


Trillium

Buckeye.  I think.

 Some guy I saw standing on a pile of wood.


 6 miles of this: flattish winding graveled road.


I do not know what this is.  Well, I know it is a bloom, but of what flower, I have no clue.