Saturday, March 30, 2013

Marchmallows

Like what I did there with the title?

Today, I have overcome an issue that has been plaguing me for over a week. 
I think I have it fixed anyhow.  Anyway, here it is.

Homemade marshmallows:

I used:
4 cups of sweet
(you can use sugar and/or honey in any or no combo)

1 1/2 cups of water
a little salt



one box of gelatin (4 packets)
1 cup cool water
2 teaspoons of liquid flavor OR
1 packet of frosting flavor

butter (or non-stick spray)
powdered sugar

Mixer
candy thermometer
big bowl (metal is best)
spoons
saucepan
2 9x11 glass pans lined with a coat of butter and a light layer of powdered sugar

Mix all the blue stuff together in a saucepan and stir until mixed and then again until it fully heats up.  The key is to get it to 240 degrees without getting it any hotter or it will scorch/turn to hard sugar/become too thick/be horrible


While it's heating, mix the gelatin and cool water in a big bowl and get the mixer ready.

As soon as it hits 240, pour the mix on top of the gelatin and water and start mixing.  You will stand there for up to 10 minutes while it goes from liquid to mallow.

Boil!  But beware, for candy it does not have to be on high


Flavor, water and gelatin

Pour the boiled mix into your mixing bowl and turn on the mixers!


 Liquid to thicker


I used frosting flavor (caramel), which also had dye and even though it started off brown, it's white by the end



I did one pan lightly dusted with powdered sugar and one just covered with a light layer of butter

Spread half the mallow into the powdered pan

I am sure there's some way to make this neat and pretty, but I have not gotten that far yet.


This time, I opted to try out adding rice cereal.  Moms Best organic cocoa rice cereal is on sale this week 2 for $4!  It took the better part of a box and it was not really enough, but it got too hard to stir.  hahaha  So then I added chocolate chips




All spread out!  They need to sit out overnight and tomorrow I will cut them, the marchmallows will be dusted with powdered sugar and popped in an airtight container, the cereal mixture can hold it's own after a few hours.  We already ate a second, smaller pan.  hehe

The mallows will keep for a couple of weeks at room temp, though...good luck leaving them alone that long.