Monday, November 22, 2010

Decent Huntsville Area Mechanic

The front end of the van has made this...noise...for about 6 weeks now.  I have had it looked at several times, no one can find anything.

Today, I called about getting an axle from O'Reiley's in H'ville and they don't have Kia parts, so they gave me the number for Cannon's Racks and Axles.  I called them and after talking with the owner, Stan,  a few minutes he said, "You know what-bring it down and I will look-no charge, I can tell you what's wrong and you don't have to buy anything from me or pay to get it fixed here."  Whoa.  That never happens anymore!

An hour later, I pulled into the shop-it's right in front of Southern Adventures-and talked to the other guy that works there.  He drove the van around a few minutes, heard the noise, put it on the rack, used a crowbar to wiggle the joints and found the noise-in the bushings.  He lubed those up.  Noise is GONE.  No further action needed. 

They pulled the van around, opened the door for me and sent me on my way-no charge.  They could have easily replaced something, lubed up the bushings and I would never have a clue.

While I was there, I admired their shop blankets and when I got home, there were THREE in the van.  : ) 

They were SO kind, chatty, the owner seems to run wide-open on the energy level and he was all about explaining how everything under there worked, I know more about axles and bushings than I ever thought I'd need to.  Now I know what can actually go wrong on the van and what is total crap-in the rack and axle department anyway.

They do other work, timing belts and that sort of general maintainance, I will be back in the spring to get some stuff done before the camping season and the trip to Disney, since we are staying nearly 6 weeks total on that trip. A week of that with Jacki!  Eep!
 
I am thrilled, Nettlevan is running totally silent now and I am not out anything more than the drive-which worked out because I ran to the library and picked up contact solution.  At Sullins Eyecare, they will give you contact solution if you come in and ask for it.  They said there was no need to buy it when they get it free.  That saves us $13 every 3 weeks.  Woot!  And, the library was of course, free-walked out with 2 brand new bestsellers and a dvd.  Pretty darn good day.

2101 Leeman Ferry Cir SW
Huntsville
, AL 35801
256-650-0150

Tell them you homeschool and heard it from the lady with the dinosaur security system.  ; )