Monday, November 8, 2010

What the?

HOW can I develop a fever and a sore throat while ON antibiotics?  Isn't that some kind of impossible thing?  Maybe...maybe I am just imagining the fever-I have not confirmed beyond my hot skin and freezing body, but the throat is killing me!  I can't chew because of that obsessed tooth or whatever you call it and now-I can't swallow without wincing and saying bad words.

It's just so wrong.



I have an appt 3 weeks from today for the consult to get that tooth pulled and I will get it pulled ASAP after they look and give me a total-I need some mental prep in that area.  I have to pay up front and our insurance has stopped paying for anesthesia.  I know, that's like not paying for the flavor in food.  You can't HAVE a procedure done without pain killers.

For the record, 2 years ago the out of pocket for 2 impacted wisdom teeth was $175 and that was with full on 'I am passed out and don't recall a thing' anesthesia.  And FOUR kinds of meds for after, only one of which I tried to take and opted out of anything else.  Pain killers make me dizzy and that's it.  No actual pain killing happens.  But the dead to the world thing they do with the IV, that's okay stuff.  I am fine with the memory loss and the inability to recall how my forehead and chest were bruised the next day.  Don't care.  I should have opted for some of that in child birthing.  



Today I called to set up a consult with an out-of-network oral surgeon.  "Sure, come in tomorrow!  There's an $82 consultation fee."  ACK.  $82 to look at x-rays another doctor took and faxed to them and then tell me how much it will cost to pull the tooth and set up an appointment for that.  I canceled that one and called the guy who pulled my wisdom teeth back.


I charged the kids (and Suzette's kids because I am actually keeping them today, though thank goodness Emily remembered because I sure did not and they have pretty much watched each other, they are really good kids) a nickel each to look at my tooth.  That's .25 so far.  So if my tooth is $87.50 to pull, I only need $87.25.  I keep looking at the pliers and thinking there's a way to do this for free...