Monday, November 15, 2010

Great Day!

Yesterday we had birthday cake for breakfast and bundled up to head to Birmingham to Sloss Furnaces for a while. 

We had spent Saturday afternoon finishing out the fencing for Zephyr's pen so she could stay home without us without having to stay inside in her kennel.  The one time we had to leave her here, she got out and was running around on the furniture when we came home.  She can unzip the kennel flap, I have her in the camping kennel since the pigs live in the big metal kennel with an actual latch.

When the weather Sunday turned out cold, I did not want to leave her here to freeze (never mind the heat lamp and warm bedding and weather-protected doghouse I was so happy with a few weeks ago).  We looked around online to see if we could find the pet policy for Sloss, since it's mostly outside.  There were a few references at dog-friendly sites, so we opted to take her and see when we got there. 

I asked at the desk-sure, dogs are allowed on a leash. Yay!  So, we all headed in to explore the ruins of Sloss furnaces, stopping first to pay homage at Spot's gravesite. 

Zeph did well for a totally new place-and one so alien at that.  She did not want to walk on any grating and she did NOT want to go in the furnace building. Ben walked her most of the time, but I got her back when he ran off to play hide and seek around the huge...I don't even know what they are called!  Pieces of machinery.

I got several good pictures, I was playing with lighting yesterday and I am pleased with how well some of the shots turned out.  I did not bring my tripod, I will next time.  Going yesterday compared with a year or so ago on a very brightly lit day, I was happier with the overcast shots.









After Sloss, we piled back in the van and headed to Moe's for Jake's birthday dinner.  Zeph stayed in the van just outside the door, happy with her kibble and fresh water.  She was curled up in her bed when we came back out. 


We caught the last half of This American Life while we drove around looking for geocaches.  As it started getting dark (at 4, UGH) we headed back toward the house.  I stopped at Gardendale, planning to get ice cream at a place called G'daddy's, but the business had closed.  So, we ended up at Sonic where we had sugar cookie blasts.  I won't do THAT again, talk about sugar coma-inducing foods.  Blech!  It's  been 17 hours and I still can't bring myself to eat anything.


I think Jake had a good day, he loves running around at Sloss, it's a really cool place.  I am glad we got out of the house a little, I have only been grocery shopping and to the dentist in the last 2 weeks, once for me, once for Jake.  That's no fun.