Saturday, November 29, 2014

Goings Ons

Chan and I cooked all day Friday. She made cookies, I made quiche from our Thanksgiving leftovers. Then I made cranberry sauce with fresh berries and spiced Christmas wine. Then we made deviled eggs with Bob Gibsons white sauce, relish and pesto. Those got eaten almost immediately and there is about half a cup of cranberry sauce left. The kids were spooning it on to Chan's spice cookies.


After the quiche disappeared, I made another and added polenta to make it more like a bread. We are taking that all sliced up on a hike tomorrow along with more boiled eggs, if everyone is feeling well enough to go.

There are some icks happening. I am pretty sure Chan is recovering from bronchitis, she coughed for nearly 6 weeks before it just faded out. No pain or fever, just a runny nose and cough day in and day out.

Ben sounds like the reaper. Jake had a fever all day Thursday and Friday and most of today, it broke on its own about 1.  I finally got to sleep after 3 this morning when we came up with the right combo of hot tea, Benedryl and Musinex to knock out his coughing fits, Thursday night was no better. I think getting out and getting some fresh air will help, though. We have been cooped up this week.

I washed all the inside windows and Matt tackled the bedroom and kitchen from the outside.
The plan was to finish today, but it's CHILLY.  That wind is awful.

The view now from my desk (it's been moved). Yea for clean windows!


Matt took the dogs for a walk today, Kaiju is proving to need a LOT of exercise.
I read that people who have GSP dogs either work/hunt them often or in the case of house pets, tie them to their bikes and run them for 2-3 miles a few days a week.

We are HOPING she will behave and we can take her on our long walks.  Nia nearly kills herself to go run up to people, we don't take her as often as we thought we would.  If she gets off the leash or yanks it free, she will NOT come back until she's jumped on the person of interest.  It's proven more stressful than enjoyable to have her along, and she does not need much exercise, a good yard run a couple times a day and she's wiped out all night.

Thinking of eating Ben's hand.  As soon as she's done with my camera strap.

Actively eating my hand

Worn out and full of hand
See my nest up there-ereader, dvd remote, heating pad, pile of pillows.  This fall has been great!
 Look how big she is getting!  She was 8 pounds 3 weeks ago, she's 14 pounds now.
Nia weighs 30 pounds, Kai should get around 50 pounds.  She is going to be a gorgeous animal.
Look at that baby gut, so cute!

Her outer layer has healed, but the inner muscle has pulled apart in 3 places.  They want to see if it will scar up enough to not be an issue, if she's not toughened up by 5 months or so, they will reopen that spot and sew it back up.  Right now, one good belly splat could pop her open.  BLERGH!
Dreaming of hand sandwich
Has no hands.
Though her feet get chewed on, and her tail.  But mainly her ears.
Kaiju has another horrible genetic flaw-other than her blue eyes.  She's missing a nipple!  She has the top pair, then just one, then 3 more pairs.  I am hoping she's not inbred, they are supposed to be very intelligent dogs.  So far, she's just beligerent.  And oh my gosh, she is DEMANDING.  Tell her no and she will bark!  While she's still small enough to tote, I put her out when she gets too full of sass. I am hoping she will grow out of that, none of the other dogs are interested in putting her in her place.  That's what I get for purposely selecting submissive dogs and then gambling on a puppy and getting an Alpha.  But, well, I am top bitch in this pack.  I imagine we will butt heads a while, but for now we are trying redirection, ignoring bad behavior (or removing her from the situation, like when she demands our food) and heaping praise and treats when she behaves well.  Maybe her love of chicken jerky will outweigh her need to dominate.  I don't want to fight to the death.

Also, I typed in 'dog missing a' and 'nipple' was the second auto suggestion, after 'tooth'.  So obviously it's not that uncommon.
Everyone with dogs with missing teeth should check their hands.